A post-divorce modification can help you end support obligations

When your marriage ended, you had to pay spousal support. You’ve done what you were told to do and paid on time every month. You even increased support when you got a raise at work.

Something that you didn’t expect, though, was to find out that your ex-spouse had not mentioned that she got engaged. She didn’t tell you that she had moved in with her partner or that there was wedding date set. In your mind, these things should have ended the support requirement, because she was no longer living alone.

You can seek a spousal support modification

If you find out that your ex-spouse no longer needs support or is not making a good effort toward being self-supporting, then it’s worth having a conversation with your attorney about modifying your support order. You cannot stop paying without a post-judgment modification, so you need to seek one.

If you you plan to seek a post-judgment modification, you need to do so as soon as possible. These orders are not retroactive, so they will only change on the date of the judge’s approval.

Your attorney will help you put together your modification request and appeal to the court to have your spousal support payments stopped or reduced based on the new circumstances. You should supply supporting documents, such as a declaration of your income or a declaration to explain why you’re seeking the modification.

Our website has information on seeking a post-judgment support modification and how doing so can help you reduce or eliminate the spousal support you’ve been paying.

Share On